This page is about the BMW motorcycle models R50/5, R60/5, R75/5. It
may apply to the R50/6, R60/6, R75/6, R90/6, R90S, R60/7, R75/7, R80/7, R100/7,
R100S, R100RS, but I can't really remember.
In 1972 BMW introduced a flip up, or self retracting sidestand to counter a
lawsuit. Not everyone was pleased with this change. Not advertised
was the fact that it was adjustable from automatic "flip up" to "stay down."
How to change the flip up feature to non-automatic
1. Put the bike on the center stand.
2. Loosen the left side front motor mount nut, 19 mm.
3. Flip the stand into the down position, while watching the plate, at
the motor mount bolt, holding the spring.
4. It should have rotated slightly.
5. Tighten the motor mount nut, 19 mm.
6. It should now be a stay down type.
I just went out to the shop and did this procedure. Steps 2 thru 5 took
To change it back to automatic. Perform steps #1, 2, 5.
This one took 5 seconds. Time measured in American time, not metric.
It takes longer to find the socket and put it on the handle than to do this