Changing the automatic flip-up side stand (kickstand) on the 72-73 BMW motorcycle
This page is about the BMW motorcycle models R50/5, R60/5, R75/5. It may apply to the R50/6, R60/6, R75/6, R90/6, R90S, R60/7, R75/7, R80/7, R100/7, R100S, R100RS, but I can’t really remember.
In 1972 BMW introduced a flip up, or self-retracting side stand to counter a lawsuit. Not everyone was pleased with this change. Not advertised was the fact that it was adjustable from automatic “flip up” to “stay down.”
How to change the flip-up feature to stay down
1. Put the bike on the center stand.
2. Loosen the left side front motor mount nut, 19 mm.
3. Flip the stand into the down position, while watching the plate, at the motor mount bolt, holding the spring.
4. It should have rotated slightly.
5. Tighten the motor mount nut.
6. It should now be a stay down type.
I just went out to the shop and did this procedure. Steps 2 thru 5 took 10 seconds.
To change it back to automatic flip up, just perform steps #1, 2, and 5.
It takes longer to find the socket and put it on the handle than to do this procedure.
Side stands for the /5 and later
By far the most popular aftermarket side stand is the Brown. One source is Vech at Bench Mark Works.
There is the Surefoot side stand from Motobins.
A good source for side stand information is Snowbum