This is a collection of ideas and tips offered up on Boxerworks. I am only
posting them and claim no credit, but I must admit that I agree totally. I
have edited them for clarity and completeness. In some cases I have added
a photo or link to more information about this issue. This list in not in
any order of importance, it is just a list. Note, this list is
often in the top 10 pages visited, so somebody is reading it.
1. Do not over tighten the axle nut.
Do not use the axle nut to pull the axle through.
2. Do not turn your forks while the key is inserted into the fork lock.
Do not leave your key in the steering lock whilst maneuvering your bike in the
garage! Do Not... Attempt to ride off with the steering lock engaged.
Avoid having to do this procedure.
3. Do not tighten the center valve cover nut.
Just beyond finger tight is enough. You will regret tightening it to what
4. Do not step on the "tang" to use your center stand.
5. /5 and later, Do not over tighten the nut on the end of the camshaft
where the ignition advance unit goes. The end snaps off easily and you
will need to buy a tool from Paul.
6. Do not forget to clean and grease your center stand pivot bolts
annually. Replace the bolts periodically. They can deteriorate and
7. Do not forget to remove your tank and
flush it annually. Change your fuel hoses periodically. These
two steps (Every two years or 30000 ks???) may help prevent the leaking carb
syndrome. This may help you to decide about fuel filters.
8. Take your clutch arm pivot pin out on back tranny cover and replace
it with a bolt and nylock nut before your pin falls halfway out and breaks off
your cast aluminum bosses on back of the /6 tranny
cover. That sucks.
9. Do not forget to take the negative battery cable off when removing
the front cover. Check for grease.
10. Do not fill the engine sump with oil before
you re-install the drain plug.
11. Don't let the points wire get pinched when you replace the front
cover, or the ignition won't work.
12. Always keep air pressure in tires at
close to proper psi. Within a few psi at most.
13. Don't start your bike with the Allen wrench still in the alternator
bolt from the valve adjustment.
14. Don't check your compression
with the throttle locked open with the cruise
control, and then get busy cleaning your bike, doing other things for a
while, and then start the engine. Very dumb.
15. Do not pull out without first raising your
16. Do not over tighten bolts. See
17. Do Not... Ride away without checking that you've tightened
the axle pinch bolts... or caliper mounting bolts...
18. Do not forget to check all fasteners after doing any work.
Take if for a test ride.
19. Do Not ever say "I'll just do this little 5 minute job before I go
for a ride"... The 5 minute job is guaranteed to take 5 hours.
Last, but not least, not from me
20. Do Not ever contradict or misquote Duane on the Boxerworks Phorum...
Not if you don't like your eyebrows singed anyway:-)
Some suggestions, in addition to the top 20
The dental floss master cylinder overhaul tip, its for getting the rubber
seal over the end of the m/c piston. Make 2 loops of floss [a
floss/seal/floss daisy chain] and use the floss to stretch the seal out/over the
piston then cut the floss and remove. Makes a difficult job very simple
Over tightening sump bolts etc etc
Don't mix up the long and short drive shaft bolts
Block the crank so it can't move forward for rear seal replacement.
Don't leave the ignition on without starting.
Don't think you have to make your bike look showroom new. Let it age.
Play nicely with others, even if it means waving to the Harley riders.
Don't use a 1 ft. long wrench with an added 2 ft. breaker bar to
tighten the 4 driveshaft bolts to the transmission output shaft.......huh, Magoo?
Do not mix up the rear caliper mounting bolts
Do not stop without putting your foot down.
Do not spit while moving (esp. with wife riding pillion).
Do Not post threads in any way, even vaguely, at all, political in content on
the Boxerworks Phorum.
DO NOT Mention the 'S' word. "S" stands for silicone. Inside joke